The only way meatballs can be improved on is by stuffing them – and then wrapping them in bacon. These are so delicious as an appetizer or as a meal.
1 tbsp ghee or unsalted butter r (or coconut oil if dairy-free)
¼ cup chopped onions
½ tsp fine sea salt
454g/1 pound ground beef
½ cup finely chopped mushrooms
½ cup powdered Parmesan cheese
1 large egg
12 large cheese curds or ½-inch cubes of fontina or cheddar cheese
12 strips bacon, cut in half lengthwise
- SERVING OPTIONS
Cilantro Lime Ranch Dressing
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- In a heavy-bottomed skillet, melt the ghee (such as cast iron). Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent, after adding the onions and seasoning with salt. Put the onions in a bowl to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, chopped mushrooms, Parmesan cheese, and egg. When the onions are cool enough to touch, add them to the bowl with the meat mixture and combine everything with your hands.
- Form the meat mixture into a 2-inch ball and wrap it around a large cheese curd or cube. Wrap a half strip of bacon around the meatball, then another half strip, forming an X, and wrapping it around the meatball. Place the wrapped meatball on a rimmed baking sheet and use a toothpick to secure the bacon to the meatball.
Continue with the remaining meat mixture, cheese, and bacon.
- 12 minutes in the oven, or until the bacon is cooked and golden brown. If desired, top with ranch dressing or mustard.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in a baking dish for 5 minutes, or until warmed through, in a preheated 190°C/375°F oven.
- RECIPE NOTES
To make this recipe even more keto-friendly, replace the ground beef with ground pork.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories603
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 6.4g 32%
- Sodium 159mg 7%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 11.3g
- Protein 31.9g 64%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.