These delicious pies will make you see and think of chicken differently – in that it’s more tasty than you could even dream of!
- FOR THE DOUGH
1¾ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 large egg, beaten
¾ cup blanched almond flour
⅛ tsp fine sea salt
- FOR THE FILLING
2 strips bacon, diced
2 tbsp diced onions
⅛ tsp minced fresh thyme
1 boneless, skinless chicken thigh, cut into ¼-inch pieces (about ½ cup)
¼ cup mayonnaise
Fresh oregano, for garnish
Ranch dressing, for serving
- Place a pizza stone in the cold oven and preheat to 220°C/425°F. (A baking sheet can be used, but a pizza stone will bake the bottoms more evenly.)
- To make the dough, in a microwave-safe bowl, combine the mozzarella cheese and butter and microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted. Stir everything together thoroughly.
- Mix in the egg thoroughly with a hand mixer. Mix in the almond flour and salt thoroughly with the mixer. Work it with your hands like a traditional dough, kneading it for about 3 minutes. Set aside the dough. (If the dough is too sticky, place it in the refrigerator for an hour or overnight.)
- In a skillet over medium heat, combine the diced bacon and onions to make the filling. Cook for 3 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy and the onions are soft. Cook until the chicken is cooked through, then add the thyme. Take the pan off the heat. Stir in the mayonnaise until well combined.
- On a rimless baking sheet, place a greased piece of parchment paper. Place one-quarter of the dough on the greased parchment and pat it out into a small circle about 4 inches in diameter with your hands. Rep with the remaining dough to make a total of four circles. Distribute the cooked filling evenly among the pies. Fold each pie in half and crimp the edges with your fingers to close it.
- Slide the pies from the baking sheet to the hot stone in the oven by sliding the parchment with the pies from the baking sheet to the stone. Bake the pies for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with ranch dressing and oregano garnish. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat for 5 minutes on a baking sheet in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven or toaster oven, or until warmed through.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories49
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.9g 5%
- Sodium 434mg 19%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 4.3g
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.