Try this amazingly tasty Pennsylvanian delight. Chicken and Waffles will make you want more!
- FOR THE CHICKEN
1 cup coconut oil or bacon fat, for frying
2 large eggs
1½ cups grated Parmesan cheese
¼ tsp ground black pepper
16oz (454g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- FOR THE WAFFLES
3 cups shredded zucchini
Fine sea salt
1 cup powdered Parmesan cheese
2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs, beaten
½ cup Hollandaise, for serving
- Heat 1 cup coconut oil in a 4-inch-deep (or deeper) cast-iron skillet over medium heat until it reaches 180°C/350°F. In the meantime, make the egg wash and breading: Beat the eggs in a medium-sized mixing bowl. In a separate medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the 112 cup Parmesan cheese and the pepper.
- Chicken should be cut into bite-sized nuggets. Dip the nuggets in the egg mixture, then in the cheese mixture, thoroughly coating each nugget. When the oil is hot, fry the nuggets in batches for about 5 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink on the inside and the batter is golden. The precise timing will be determined by the size of the nuggets.
- Heat a waffle iron to high heat to make the waffles. Sprinkle salt over the shredded zucchini in a colander set over the sink. Allow for a 4-minute draining period. Remove any excess moisture by squeezing it out. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the zucchini. Mix in the 1 cup of Parmesan, butter, and eggs. Grease a hot waffle maker. Close the iron by placing 3 tbsp of the zucchini mixture in the centre. Cook the waffle for 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp.
- Place 2 waffles on each plate and top with 2 chicken nuggets to serve. Serve with hollandaise sauce. Refrigerate leftovers in separate airtight containers for up to 3 days. Reheat for 5 minutes on a baking sheet in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven, or until warmed through, then top with the hollandaise.
- RECIPE NOTES:
If you don’t want to fry the chicken nuggets, bake them instead. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Place the breaded nuggets on a baking sheet that has been greased and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. Again, the exact timing will be determined by the size of the nuggets.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories384
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 4.6g 23%
- Sodium 68mg 3%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 14.2g
- Protein 8.4g 17%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.