There’s chowder, and there’s chowder – and then there’s this! Why not try the nicest Clam Chowder that will delight any gathering – even if it’s a gathering of one.
4 strips bacon, chopped
¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
2 cups cauliflower florets, cut into 1-inch pieces
½ cup minced onions
½ cup diced celery
1 (227g/8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
2 cups chicken bone broth, divided
3 (180g/6½ oz) cans minced clams, with juices
1½ tsp fine sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
- Fry the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Set aside the skillet.
- In a large pot, whisk the butter over medium-high heat until it froths, and brown (but not black!) flecks appear, about 6 minutes. Turn down the heat to low. Sauté the cauliflower, onions, and celery for 2 minutes in the browned butter. Whisk in the cream cheese and 1/4 cup of the broth until well combined.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes, with the remaining broth in the pot over medium heat. Allow the soup to come to a boil but do not allow it to boil. Just before serving, combine the clams and juices. They will become tough if cooked for an extended period of time. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat for a few minutes over medium heat, or until warmed through.
6 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories681
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 1.9g 10%
- Sodium 527mg 22%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 11.3g
- Protein 36.6g 74%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.