We know you will love this delicious steak. The Parmesan Cheese and the spices make it taste wonderful, and the gravy seals the deal.
- FOR THE STEAK
4 (113g/4oz) bottom round steaks
2 tsp fine sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 large egg
1 cup powdered Parmesan cheese
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
¼ cup ghee
- FOR THE GRAVY
1 tbsp ghee
2 tbsp minced onions
1 clove garlic, minced
113g/4oz cream cheese (½ cup)
½ cup beef or chicken bone broth
Fine sea salt and ground black pepper
1 batch Mashed Fauxtatoes
Chopped fresh parsley, forgarnish
Melted ghee , for drizzling
- Pound the steaks until they are 1/4 inch thick to tenderise them. Season the steaks on both sides with salt and pepper. In a shallow bowl, beat the egg. In a separate shallow bowl, combine the Parmesan cheese, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Divide the Parmesan mixture into two separate bowls so that the steaks can be dipped dry, wet, and dry.
- Dip a steak into the first bowl of Parmesan mixture, then into the egg, and finally into the second bowl of Parmesan mixture, coating all sides of the meat thoroughly with your hands. Repeat with the remaining steaks.
- In a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat, melt 1/4 cup ghee. When the oil is hot, add the coated steaks in batches if necessary. Cook for 2 minutes, or until golden brown, then flip and cook for another 2 minutes. Continue until all the steaks are cooked. Put the cooked steaks on a warm serving platter and cover with foil to keep them warm.
- Wipe the skillet clean before beginning to make the gravy. 1 tbsp ghee, melted in a skillet Sauté the onions and garlic for 3 minutes over medium heat, or until the onions are translucent. Stir in the cream cheese with a whisk until no clumps remain. While whisking, gradually add the broth. Cook, constantly stirring, until the mixture reaches a gentle simmer and is smooth. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to stir constantly for 2 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the foil from the serving platter and spoon the gravy over the steaks. If desired, serve over mashed fauxtatoes and garnish with chopped parsley and a drizzle of melted ghee. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat for 5 minutes on a rimmed baking sheet in
a preheated 180°C/350°F oven, or until warmed through.
- RECIPE NOTES
Request that your butcher tenderize and pound the steaks thin so that all you have to do is dip them in the breading and fry them for a tasty dinner!
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories424
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 1.1g 6%
- Sodium 489mg 21%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 12.5g
- Protein 21.4g 43%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.