A staple in any Chinese Restaurant or Takeaway, Hot and Sour Soup is a fantastic appetizer and also a good hearty snack to be enjoyed at any time of year, but specially in the colder days. Try this fantastic recipe and replicate a favourite in your own kitchen. We think you’ll find it a fantastic little treasure and something you’ll keep coming back to.
1 tbsp coconut oil
4oz (½lb) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into ½-inch cubes
Fine sea salt and ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, smashed to a paste or minced
1 leek, thinly sliced
1 cup thinly sliced button mushrooms (about 227g/8 oz)
6 cups chicken bone broth
¼ cup unseasoned rice vinegar or coconut vinegar
1 tbsp wheat-free tamari, or ¼ cup coconut aminos
1 tbsp chili sesame oil
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Sliced scallions, for garnish
Chopped cilantro leaves, for garnish
2 limes, quartered, for serving
- Heat the coconut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper on all sides. Sear the chicken on all sides in the pot for about 3 minutes total. Turn the heat down to medium. Sauté the garlic, leek, and mushrooms for 4 minutes, or until the mushrooms are golden brown.
- Fill the pot halfway with broth. Boil for 5 minutes after adding the vinegar, tamari, chilli sesame oil, and ginger. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the pot from the heat and drizzle the eggs into the soup while stirring in one direction just before serving. Serve the soup in 6 bowls, garnished with scallions and cilantro, and drizzled with lime juice. Keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Place in a saucepan over medium heat for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
6 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories409
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 2.5g 13%
- Sodium 1482mg 62%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 9g
- Protein 27.6g 56%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.