A hearty stew, great to fill and to warm. This is ideal in the colder months, or as a feel good food which will also nourish.
1hr 45 minutes
1 (454g/1-pound) boneless beef roast
Fine sea salt and ground black pepper
3 tbsp MCT oil or bacon fat
½ head (2 cups) cauliflower, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups button mushrooms, sliced in half
1 cup diced onions
2 large stalks celery, cut into ¼- inch pieces
3 cloves garlic, minced, or 1 head roasted garlic, cloves squeezed from the head
4 cups beef bone broth
1 (2227g/8 oz) can diced tomatoes, or 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
½ tsp dried rosemary, or 1 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
½ tsp dried thyme, or 1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- Using a paper towel, pat the roast dry and cut it into 1- inch pieces. Season the meat with salt and pepper on all sides. In a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, heat the MCT oil. When the oil is hot, sear the beef chunks in it for 3 minutes, or until golden brown on all sides.
- Combine the cauliflower, mushrooms, onions, celery, and garlic with the beef in a large pot. 3 minutes of sautéing.
- Pour in the broth, tomatoes, rosemary, and thyme. Cook for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes or so, covered.
- Cook for another 30 minutes, uncovered, to thicken the stew. Serve immediately after removing from the heat.
- Extras can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. Warm in a saucepan over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until thoroughly warmed.
8 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories455
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 1.4g 7%
- Sodium 733mg 31%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 11.1g
- Protein 24.2g 49%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.