What goes well with mushrooms? BLT! It goes well with anything, and can get your guests talking about food.
20 large button mushrooms
1 tbsp unsalted butter or coconut oil
¼ cup diced onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
227g/½ pound bacon, cut into tiny pieces
113g (4oz) cream cheese (½ cup), softened
¼ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
½ tsp fine sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
2 cups chopped lettuce
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and wash them. Place the caps on a paper towel to dry. Chop the stems finely.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter, then add the onions, garlic, and mushroom stems. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onions soften. Cook until the bacon is crispy, about 4 minutes.
- Pour the bacon mixture into a mixing bowl. Combine the cheeses in a mixing bowl. Fill each mushroom cap with 1 tbsp of the bacon and cheese mixture.
- Season the stuffed mushrooms in an 8-inch square baking dish (a pie pan also works) with salt and pepper. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the mushrooms soften and the cheese melts.
Arrange the lettuce on a serving platter. Place the baked mushrooms on top of the lettuce bed.
- Although these are best served fresh, any leftovers can be covered and refrigerated for up to three days. Reheat for 5 minutes in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven or toaster oven, or until the cheese is melted.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories213
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.5g 3%
- Sodium 191mg 8%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 25g
- Protein 3.8g 8%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.