A fun and delicious “burger”, this will not only satisfy the need for “junk” food, but will also put a smile on your face when you realise how good they taste.
- FOR THE PIZZA DOUGH
1¾ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 large egg
¾ cup blanched almond flour
⅛ tsp fine sea salt
- FOR THE BURGERS
16oz (454g) ground beef
Fine sea salt and ground black pepper
4 (15g/½ oz) slices mozzarella cheese
12 slices pepperoni
4 tbsp pizza sauce, divided, plus extra for serving
- To make the dough, in a microwave-safe bowl, combine the mozzarella and butter and microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted. Stir everything together thoroughly.
- Mix in the egg thoroughly with a hand mixer. Mix in the almond flour and salt thoroughly with the mixer. Work it with your hands like traditional dough, kneading it for about 3 minutes. (Note: If the dough is too sticky, chill it for an hour or overnight in the refrigerator.)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F and place a pizza stone, if using, in the cold oven. Divide the ground beef into four 120g/4 oz portions, shape into patties, and season with salt and pepper on both sides. Sauté the burgers in a large greased cast-iron skillet over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until medium-rare. Set aside after removing from the skillet.
- Make four 120g/4 oz balls out of the pizza dough. Place each ball on its own piece of oiled parchment paper and cover with another piece of oiled parchment. Roll each ball into a 5-inch disc with a rolling pin. 1 slice of cheese in the centre, followed by 3 slices of pepperoni, a burger patty, and 1 tablespoon pizza sauce (Note: If the dough is too sticky to roll out, shape it around the burger with your hands.) This dough is very forgiving and can be easily combined with your fingers.)
- As if making a large dumpling, fold the sides of the dough around the burger and seal it. Continue with the remaining dough circles and filling ingredients. Bake for 8 minutes, or until the dough is golden brown, on a hot pizza stone or a large baking sheet. With pizza sauce on the side, serve. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat for 5 minutes on a rimmed baking sheet in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven, or until warmed through.
- Recipe Notes
I lprefer to make large batches of this pizza dough to keep in the fridge for up to 4 days or the freezer for up to a month for quick meals like these burgers. It’s also great for pizza.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories561
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 12.4g 62%
- Sodium 846mg 36%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 0.6g
- Protein 51g 102%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.