When you think of Sundaes, you do not think of beef! However, this does taste amazing. A definite need to have on the recipe list for any serious keto-diet adherent. Try it at least once, and we think you will be back for more.
3 hrs 30 mins
- FOR THE HOT BEEF LAYER
1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
1 (4lbs / 64oz) boneless beef chuck roast
Fine sea salt and ground black pepper
1 cup tomato sauce
½ cup beef bone broth
½ cup coconut vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp chili powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
- “ICE CREAM” TOPPING
2 cups beef or chicken bone broth
1 medium head cauliflower
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
30g (1 oz) cream cheese (2 tbsp), softened, or more if desired
1 clove garlic, smashed to a paste
⅛ tsp ground black pepper for garnish
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
8 cherry tomatoes
- Heat the ghee in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat to braise the beef. Season the roast liberally with salt and pepper on all sides. Brown the roast on all sides in the pot, about 2 minutes per side.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, then add the tomato sauce, 1/2 cup broth, and vinegar. Season with chilli powder, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook for 3 hours, or until the meat is fork-tender.
- In the meantime, prepare the “ice cream” topping: Fill a stockpot halfway with broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Cut the cauliflower florets into bite-sized pieces after cored. Cover and steam the florets for about 6 minutes, or until fork-tender. Drain thoroughly; do not allow the cauliflower to cool. Pat it dry with several layers of paper towels. Puree the hot cauliflower with the Parmesan, cream cheese, garlic, and pepper in a high-powered blender or food processor until smooth. Set aside the topping.
- Divide the beef into 8 sundae cups or bowls by slicing or shredding it. Drizzle some of the Dutch oven sauce over the meat, then top with the “ice cream,” shredded cheddar cheese, and a cherry tomato.
- Refrigerate leftovers in separate airtight containers for up to 3 days. In a skillet over medium heat, reheat the beef for 3 minutes, or until warmed through. In a saucepan over medium heat, reheat the cauliflower topping for about 3 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Recipe Notes
The cauliflower topping can be made up to 3 days ahead of time and refrigerated in an airtight container until ready to assemble the sundaes.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories1103
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 81.7g 409%
- Sodium 142mg 6%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 40.4g
- Protein 10.5g 21%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.