While the title of the recipe might sound a real mouthful, we promise that you will delight in every mouthful of this wonderful waffle recipe – well, waffle with a difference.
- FOR THE BISQUE
1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
¼ cup diced onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, plus extra for garnish
113g (4oz) cream cheese (½ cup), softened
1 cup chicken bone broth
1 (410g/14½ oz) can diced tomatoes, with juices
1½ cups tomato sauce
2 tsp dried basil
½ tsp fine sea salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
Melted ghee or avocado oil, for drizzling
- FOR THE WAFFLES
8 large eggs
4 hard-boiled eggs
¼ cup powdered Parmesan cheese
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp fine sea salt
½ cup ghee or coconut oil, melted but not hot, plus extra for the waffle iron
16 slices cheddar, Gruyere, Swiss, or fontina cheese
- Heat the ghee in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat to make the bisque. Cook, stirring constantly, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft. Heat the Gorgonzola, cream cheese, and broth until the cheeses have melted and the mixture has reached a simmer.
- Bring to a simmer with the tomatoes (including juices), tomato sauce, basil, salt, and pepper. Continue to simmer, stirring constantly, for 15 to 20 minutes; do not allow it to boil. Puree the soup with an immersion blender or a countertop blender until smooth. Turn off the heat and cover the pan with a lid to keep the bisque warm while you prepare the waffles.
- Heat a waffle iron to high heat to make the waffles. In a blender or food processor, combine the raw eggs, hardboiled eggs, Parmesan, onion powder (if using), baking powder, and salt and process until smooth and thick. Mix in the melted ghee thoroughly.
- Grease a hot waffle maker. Close the iron after placing 2 1/2 tbsp of waffle batter in the center. (It should be a smaller waffle, similar to a hamburger bun.) 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Make 16 small waffles with the remaining batter.
- Place 2 slices of cheese on a waffle and top with another waffle to make the sandwiches. Butter the waffle sandwich’s outsides. Return the sandwich to the waffle iron and heat until the cheese is melted (the iron will not close completely, which is fine).
- Pour the bisque into 8 soup bowls, top with crumbled Gorgonzola, fresh basil leaves, and a drizzle of melted ghee, and serve. With the grilled cheese waffles, serve.
- Refrigerate any leftover soup in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat the soup in a saucepan over medium heat for 3 minutes, or until warmed through. Extra waffles can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Reheat the waffles for 3 minutes, or until warmed through, in a preheated 190°C/375°F oven or toaster oven.
8 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories181
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.8g 4%
- Sodium 528mg 22%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 12.4g
- Protein 8.7g 18%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.