The Brussel Sprout – often left to a Christmas Day lunch – but this will make you think differently. Try it – we promise you will love it.
680g/1½ pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed
1 cup chopped radicchio or kale
2 strips bacon, diced (optional)
2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 shallot, finely chopped, or 2 tbsp diced onions
½ tsp fine sea salt (1 tsp if not using bacon)
- FOR GARNISH
3 soft-boiled eggs
2 tbsp chopped walnuts
½ avocado, sliced
- A large pot of water should be brought to a boil. Blanch the Brussels Sprouts and radicchio or kale for about 15 seconds (useradicchio for a contrasting purple colour). Drain and rinse the vegetables in cold water as soon as possible. Large sprouts should be cut in half lengthwise.
- Cook the bacon in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat for about 3 minutes, or until it is browned. Set aside the bacon in a bowl; keep the drippings in the pan.
- Sauté the shallot and butter in the skillet for about 2 minutes, or until the shallot is soft. Toss in the blanched Brussels Sprouts and radicchio to coat in the butter. Sauté the vegetables for about 3 minutes, or until they begin to soften, then season with salt and cook for another 2 minutes, or until crisp-tender.
- Transfer the vegetables to a serving dish using a slotted spoon. If using, top with cooked bacon and sliced softboiled eggs. If using, top with chopped walnuts and serve with sliced avocado.
- This dish is best served fresh, but any leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in a baking dish for 5 minutes in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven, or until warmed through.
- RECIPE NOTES
To make perfect soft-boiled eggs, follow these steps:
Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water and bring to a boil, but not quite. Place the eggs gently in the simmering water and cook for 5 minutes, keeping the water at a simmer rather than a boil. Remove the eggs and rinse them under cold water. When the eggs are cool enough to handle, carefully peel them.
6 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories282
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.7g 4%
- Sodium 405mg 17%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 3.3g
- Protein 24.6g 50%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.