This will definitely be talking point at any dinner party. Cannoli – with chicken!
It might sound a bit absurd, but it tastes amazing. Try it and see!
- FOR THE BUFFALO CHICKEN
3 tbsp bacon fat, lard, or ghee
4 chicken leg quarters (about 1.4kg/3 pounds)
1½ tsp fine sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
¼ cup diced onions
1 tsp minced garlic
1 cup chicken bone broth
¼ cup wing sauce or other medium-hot hot sauce
- FOR THE CANNOLI TUBES
1 cup grated hard cheese, divided such as Parmesan, Asiago, or aged Gouda
- FOR THE GARNISH
4 tbsp wing sauce or other medium-hot hot sauce, divided
4 tbsp crumbled blue cheese, divided
Celery sticks, for serving
- Heat the fat in a deep sauté pan over medium-high heat to make the chicken. Season the leg quarters with salt and pepper, then place them in the hot fat for 8 minutes, or until golden brown on all sides.
- Cook the onions and garlic for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, over medium heat, until the onions are golden brown.
- Add the broth and hot sauce and cook, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, or until the chicken is almost falling off the bone.
- Make the cannoli tubes about 25 minutes before the chicken is done: Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F. Have two 1-inch-diameter cylindrical objects on hand (such as spice jars). Place a sheet of parchment paper on a rimmed baking sheet and spray with coconut oil spray. 14 cup of the cheese should be placed in a circle about 4 inches in diameter. Repeat with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese to form a second 4-inch circle, leaving at least 2 inches between them. 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- You must act quickly when removing the baking sheet from the oven. Transfer the rounds of cheese to the cylindrical objects and shape them around the moulds with a spatula or knife. Allow for a 10-minute cooling period before removing from the moulds. Repeat with the remaining cheese to make 4 tubes in total. (Note: Once you’ve mastered the technique, you can make up to four cheese tubes at once.) Fill with the chicken filling once it has cooled.
- Remove the chicken leg quarters from the pan and set aside to cool until you can handle them. Remove the meat from the bones and chop it.
- Fill the cooled cheese tubes with the chopped chicken to serve. Place 1 tbsp hot sauce and 1 tbsp blue cheese crumbles on top of each cannoli on a serving plate. Serve with celery sticks as a side dish.
- These are best served fresh, but any leftover buffalo chicken and cannoli tubes can be refrigerated in separate airtight containers for up to 3 days.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories235
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 3.5g 18%
- Sodium 192mg 8%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 10g
- Protein 31.5g 63%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.