If you want to try the tastiest piece of pork you’ll ever have in your whole life, then get started on this recipe, because we know it’s the best pork recipe we have. This is a wonderful dish that can be shared with all the family, or you can have it as a showpiece meal for friends. They will be amazed at the fantastic taste, just as we were when we first tried it.
20 minutes & overnight marinade
16oz (454g) pork cheeks, or 1 (340g/12 oz) package fully cooked pork belly
½ cup tomato sauce
½ cup Swerve confectioners’-style sweetener
¼ cup coconut vinegar or unseasoned rice vinegar
2 tbsp wheat-free tamari, or ½ cup coconut aminos
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
1 tsp natural red food coloring
Scallions, sliced on the diagonal, for garnish
- Cut the pork cheeks into 1/2-inch-wide by 2-inch-long strips against the grain and place in an 8-inch square baking dish.
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the tomato sauce, sweetener, vinegar, tamari, garlic, five spice-powder, and food colouring, if using. Cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes, or until bubbly and thick. Allow to cool slightly before pouring three-quarters of it over the pork and thoroughly mixing to coat. Cover the dish and place it in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight to
marinate. Refrigerate the remaining sauce in a small, tightly sealed container until ready to serve.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Remove the pork from the marinade and set aside.
- Grill the pork cheeks for 10 minutes on each side, or until done (an instant-read thermometer inserted into the centre should read at least 63°C/145°F). If using pork belly, grill for 2 minutes on each side, or until charred and heated through. Take the burgers off the grill. Garnish with scallions and brush with reserved sauce.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to four days. To reheat, heat for about 5 minutes in a lightly greased skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories456
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 16.5g 83%
- Sodium 658mg 28%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 31.3g
- Protein 9.5g 19%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.