Is there anything that tastes nicer than a good pork belly? We think not – and we believe this is the best tasting pork belly that you will ever make. The bacon jam makes it!
- FOR THE BACON JAM
4oz / ¼ pound bacon, cut into small dice
¼ cup diced onions
½ cup beef bone broth
- FOR THE PORK BELLY
1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
1 (340g / 12oz) package fully cooked pork belly
1 batch Keto Grits, for serving
Chopped fresh herbs of choice, for garnish (optional)
- To make the bacon jam, cook the bacon in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Cook for another 5 minutes after adding the onions. Bring the broth to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Increase the heat to high and continue to stir for about 10 minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated and the jam has a spreadable texture. (Note: Once cool, the jam can be refrigerated in a sealed jar for up to 6 days.)
- Heat the ghee in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat to make the pork belly. Place the slab of pork belly in the hot pan and sear for about 2 minutes per side, or until crispy. Take the pan off the heat and cut it into 12- inch-thick slices.
- Divide the grits among 4 plates or bowls and top with the pork belly to serve. Cover the pork with the bacon jam and, if desired, garnish with fresh herbs.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat for 5 minutes on a rimmed baking sheet in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven, or until warmed through.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories627
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 6.4g 32%
- Sodium 869mg 37%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 5.7g
- Protein 18.3g 37%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.