A healthy breakfast which is also tasty, this waffle treat will have you asking for more.
- FOR THE WAFFLES:
8 large eggs
4 hard-boiled eggs
¼ cup powdered Parmesan cheese
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp onion powder (optional)
½ tsp fine sea salt
½ cup ghee or coconut oil, melted but not hot
- FOR THE MORNAY SAUCE
¼ cup beef or chicken bone broth
¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
30g (1 oz) cream cheese
1 cup shredded Gruyère or cheddar cheese
⅛ tsp fine sea salt
- FOR THE SANDWICH FILLINGS
12 slices ham
½ cup shredded Gruyère or cheddar cheese
4 large eggs
1 tsp ghee or unsalted butter
- Heat a waffle iron to high heat to make the waffles. In a blender or food processor, combine the raw eggs, hardboiled eggs, Parmesan cheese, baking powder, onion powder (if using), and salt until smooth and thick. Mix in the melted ghee thoroughly.
- Grease a hot waffle maker. Close the iron after placing a heaping 1/4 cup of batter in the centre. 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Repeat with the remaining batter to make 8 waffles.
- To make the Mornay sauce, whisk together the broth, butter, cream cheese, and shredded cheese in a saucepan over medium-high heat until the cheese is melted. Remove the pan from the heat after adding the salt. Blend until very smooth with an immersion blender (or transfer to a countertop blender and blend until smooth); set aside.
- Preheat the oven to broil when you’re ready to make the Croques Madames. Place the waffles on a baking sheetwith a rim. Top each waffle with three slices of ham and two tablespoons of shredded cheese. Place aside.
- Heat the ghee in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat to fry the eggs. When the pan is hot, crack the four eggs into it and cook for about 2 minutes on one side, until the whites are cooked but the yolks are still runny. At this point, place the waffles under the broiler (see Step 6).
Remove the skillet from the heat and season the eggs with salt and pepper.
- Broil the waffles for 1 to 2 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the waffles are warm, while the eggs are cooking.
- Place 1 ham and cheese–topped waffle on a serving plate to start the Croques Madames. Top with a plain waffle, then a sunny-side-up egg, and Mornay sauce. If using, season with freshly ground pepper and garnish with thyme leaves. Rep with the rest of the waffles, eggs, and Mornay sauce.
- Plain waffles can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month in an airtight container. Reheat the waffles for 3 minutes, or until warmed through, in a preheated 190°C/375°F oven or toaster oven. Refrigerate the Mornay sauce in an airtight container for up to 3 days; it will thicken overnight.
- Reheat the sauce in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes, or until warm. If the sauce is too thick, add a few tablespoons of broth.
- RECIPE NOTES:
The waffles and Mornay sauce can be made ahead of time and refrigerated in separate airtight containers for up to 3 days. The waffles can be stored in the freezer for up to a month.
8 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories384
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 4.6g 23%
- Sodium 68mg 3%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 14.2g
- Protein 8.4g 17%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.