The classic – and it tastes so good that you don’t have to worry about leftovers. As the sauce is home-made by you, you can take all the credit for creating a wonderful dish which will be loved by all.
- FOR THE DUCK
1 (2268g/5lbs) duck
1 tbsp fine sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 orange Rind
4 sprigs fresh thyme
4 sprigs fresh marjoram
Unsalted butter, softened
1 onion, sliced thin
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 cup duck or chicken bone broth
- FOR THE SAUCE
2 cups duck or chicken bone broth
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter or duck fat
¼ cup Swerve confectioners’-style sweetener
2 tbsp coconut vinegar or sherry wine vinegar
2 tbsp minced shallots
2 oranges Grated zest of, plus extra for garnish (optional)
3 lemons Juice
6 drops food-grade orange oil, or more to taste
Fresh thyme leaves, for garnish
Orange slices, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 245°C/475°F.
- Pat the duck dry and season both the inside and outside with salt and pepper. Fill the cavity with the orange rind, thyme, and marjoram. Rub butter all over the outside of the duck.
- In a roasting pan, combine the onion slices and celery. Place the duck on top. Bake for 30 minutes after adding the broth.
- In the meantime, prepare the orange sauce: In a small saucepan, combine all of the ingredients. Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, stirring frequently, over medium heat (not high or it will burn). If desired, add more sweetener and/or orange oil. Remove the orange zest and strain the sauce.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/350°F after the duck has been in the oven for 30 minutes. Pour the sauce over the duck and continue to cook for another 80 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 76°C/170°F.
- Preheat the oven to broil for 4 minutes, or until the skin is crisp. Remove the duck from the roasting pan and drain the cavity juices. Place the duck on a serving platter and set aside for 10 minutes before carving. Serve with the orange sauce on top and garnished with thyme leaves, orange slices, and extra orange zest if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat for 5 minutes on a rimmed baking sheet in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven, or until warmed through.
8 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories623
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 3.9g 20%
- Sodium 685mg 29%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 12.2g
- Protein 28.8g 58%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.