A wholesome, tasty take on the staple Chicken. We know you will have this as a go-to meal for any occasion, or just as a daily meal option.
1 hour 15 minutes
1 (3 to 4lbs) chicken
Fine sea salt and ground black pepper
3 tbsp lard or coconut oil
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 lemon, sliced
1 onion, quartered
3 cloves garlic, whacked with the side of a knife
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/425°F.
- Season the inside and outside of the chicken liberally with salt and pepper. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the lard and herbs. Mix until everything is well combined. Smear the herby lard under the skin of the chicken to allow it to penetrate. Stuff the cavity with lemon slices, onion quarters, and garlic.
- Cook for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken reads 76°C/170°F.
- Allow 10 minutes for the chicken to rest before slicing and serving. Remove the lemon, onion, and garlic from the pan.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat for 5 minutes on a baking sheet in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven, or until warmed through.
12 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories26
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 3.1g 16%
- Sodium 278mg 12%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 2g
- Protein 5.3g 11%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.