Chicken with cheese? Yes please! We are sure you will love this amazingly tasty chicken dish which will tickle your tongue and tastebuds.
- FOR THE BROWNED BUTTER CHEESE SAUCE
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
½ cup beef or chicken bone broth
28g (1oz) cream cheese (2 tbsp)
283g (10oz) Swiss cheese, shredded
Fine sea salt
- FOR THE CHICKEN CORDON BLEU
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
½ tsp ground black pepper
8 slices Swiss cheese
8 slices cooked deli ham
1 cup powdered Parmesan cheese
2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil, for the skillet
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a large saucepan over high heat, whisking constantly for about 5 minutes. The butter will begin to foam and sizzle. Keep an eye out for brown (but not black!) flecks; once you see them, remove the pan from the heat and whisk vigorously.
- Slowly whisk in the broth, cream cheese, and shredded cheese. Heat briefly, just until the cheese melts. Season with salt to taste. Remove from the heat, transfer to a blender, and puree until completely smooth. Allow the sauce to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a 13 by 9-inch baking dish.
- Pound the chicken thighs between two pieces of parchment paper to 1.4 inch thickness.
- Sprinkle pepper on both sides of each piece of chicken (salt isn’t necessary because the ham and Parmesan cheese are salty enough). Top each thigh with 1 slice Swiss cheese and 1 slice ham. Each thigh should be rolled up and secured with a toothpick. Place the chicken in a bowl, sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning, and turn to coat well on all sides.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the ghee. Cook the chicken rolls in the hot skillet for 4 minutes, or until browned on one side. Cook for 2 minutes more, or until the chicken is golden brown.
- Place the chicken rolls in a greased baking dish. Bake for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the chicken is cooked through. Remove the toothpicks and set aside for 5 minutes. Serve hot, sliced crosswise, with warm cheese sauce drizzled over each piece. If desired, top with chopped parsley.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat the chicken rolls for 5 minutes on a rimmed baking sheet in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven, or until warmed through. Reheat the sauce in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Recipe Notes
The cheese sauce can be made up to 3 days ahead and refrigerated before reheating on the stovetop over medium-low heat.
- If you don’t want to fry the chicken rolls, skip Step 6 and bake them in a greased baking dish for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink on the inside.
8 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories1624
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 5.9g 30%
- Sodium 2735mg 114%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 14.9g
- Protein 71.2g 143%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.