A Turkey is not just for Christmas or Thanksgiving! Try this amazingly delicious recipe and make Turkey your new favourite poultry dish. The lemon pepper makes this taste really amazing.
3 hrs 45 minutes
1 (5.5kg/12-pound) turkey
3 lemons, plus extra for garnish
2 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp fine sea salt
1 cup diced onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large stalk celery, diced
4 small sprigs fresh thyme
10 strips bacon, diced
½ cup ghee or unsalted butter
⅛ tsp guar gum (a natural thickener), or 30g (1 oz) cream cheese (2 tbsp) for serving (optional)
Mashed Fauxtatoes (See Notes)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Remove the turkey’s neck and giblets.
- In a small bowl, grate the lemon zest. Season with pepper and salt. Pat the turkey dry with paper towels. Season the cavity of the turkey with a little of the zest mixture, then rub the rest all over the outside of the turkey. Lemons should be cut in half. Fill the cavity with 1 lemon, onions, garlic, celery, and thyme sprigs.
- Use kitchen twine or a small string to tie the turkey legs together. Place the turkey on a rack in the bottom of a large roasting pan. To avoid burning, tuck the wings under the body.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the diced bacon until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to drain, leaving the drippings in the skillet.
- Stir the ghee into the skillet with the drippings until melted, then pour into a bowl and stir in the juice of the remaining two lemons. This mixture should be rubbed all over the turkey. Roast the turkey for 30 minutes in the oven. 30 minutes later, baste the turkey with the drippings. Continue roasting for 3 hours, basting every half hour, or until a meat thermometer inserted into the thigh registers 74°C/165°F. Transfer the turkey to a serving tray and set aside for at least 25 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, pour the roasting pan drippings into a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Whisk in the guar gum or cream cheese until well combined and there are no clumps. Cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes, or until the gravy is thick. Then, for an incredible gravy, add the reserved bacon. Serve with extra lemon halves or quarters on the side.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat for 5 minutes on a baking sheet in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven, or until warmed through.
- RECIPE NOTES
Four people can be served with one batch of mashed fauxtatoes. Depending on how many people you’re serving, double or triple the recipe.
14 servings per container
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 3.1g 16%
- Sodium 278mg 12%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 2g
- Protein 5.3g 11%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.