Chicken and Gravy is a staple amongst many families. Try this take on an old favourite. We promise it will make you want more.
- FOR THE FILLING
2 tbsp ghee or unsalted butter
1½ cups sliced mushrooms
¼ cup diced onions
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 cup chopped asparagus
680g (1½lbs) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped into ¼- inch pieces
1 tsp fine sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
113g (4oz) cream cheese (½ cup)
¾ cup chicken bone broth
- FOR THE BISCUITS
4 large egg whites
1 cup blanched almond flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp fine sea salt
3 tbsp very cold butter
Melted ghee, butter, or extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Melt the ghee in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Sauté the mushrooms and onions for 4 minutes, or until the mushrooms have turned golden brown. Sauté the celery and asparagus for 3 minutes more.
- Season the chopped chicken with salt and pepper on all sides. Cook until the chicken is seared on all sides in the skillet. It isn’t necessary to cook it all the way through.
- Add the cream cheese to the skillet and thoroughly combine with a whisk until no lumps remain. Whisk in the broth slowly. Set aside while you prepare the biscuits for the topping.
- To make the biscuits, whip the egg whites in a mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer until firm and stiff. Separately, in a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, baking powder, and salt, then cut in the butter. (The biscuits will not turn out if the butter is not chilled.) Fold the flour mixture into the egg whites gently. Scoop out and shape the dough into 2-inch-round
biscuits with a large spoon or ice cream scooper, making sure the butter stays in separate clumps.
- Place the biscuits in the skillet on top of the chicken mixture. Bake the biscuits for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Garnish with thyme and a drizzle of melted ghee before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in a baking dish for 5 minutes in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven, or until warmed through.
8 servings per container
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 1.9g 10%
- Sodium 272mg 12%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 0.8g
- Protein 0.8g 2%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.