Nonna has come up trumps for us again, with her wonderful recipe for stuffed mushrooms. We recommend you use a good quality Italian sausage meat for the stuffing. It will make the mushrooms taste amazing. As always, we only use Nonna’s Marinara, which you can make from scratch using her recipe. You can find this on our website.
20 large button mushrooms
1 tbsp unsalted butter or coconut oil
¼ cup diced onions (about 1 small)
2 cloves garlic, minced
227g (8oz) bulk Italian sausage
½ tsp fine sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
113g (4oz) cream cheese, at room temperature
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra Parmesan for the topping
1 cup Nonna’s Marinara
Fresh oregano, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and wash them. Place the caps on a paper towel to dry. Chop the stems finely.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter, then add the onions, garlic, and mushroom stems. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onions soften. Season the sausage with salt and pepper and cook, breaking it up with a spatula, until it is lightly browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Place the sausage mixture in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Combine the cream cheese and Parmesan in a mixing bowl until well combined. Fill each mushroom cap with 1 tbsp of the cheese mixture.
- Pour the marinara into two 8-inch square baking dishes or two pie pans, then top with the mushrooms and a few tbsp of Parmesan cheese. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the mushrooms soften and the cheese melts.
- Garnish with oregano and serve. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to four days. Place on a rimmed baking sheet in a 190°C/375°F oven for about 3 minutes to reheat.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories137
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 4.9g 25%
- Sodium 249mg 11%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 2.3g
- Protein 5.4g 11%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.