What a simple meal to make! This easy to do recipe is just that – and tasty too! We prefer to use Nonna’s Marinara when making the Lasagna, as it gives an excellent flavor to the meal. We also suggest the leanest ground beef you can get your hands on, with a low enough fat content. I love to make this for a week I know I’ll be busy, and freeze it in small portions to be used later. Again, we use Nonna’s Marinara in this recipe.
1 hour 20 minutes
16oz (454g) bulk Italian sausage
340g (12oz) ground beef
3 tbsp chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups Nonna’s Marinara
454g/ 1 pound ricotta cheese
1 large egg
½ tsp fine sea salt
16 thin slices deli chicken breast (about 227g/ 8 oz)
340g (12oz) mozzarella cheese, sliced
¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 180g/ 6 oz)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, combine the sausage, ground beef, onions, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently to crumble the meat, until the sausage and beef are well browned. Remove from the heat and stir in the marinara.
- Combine the ricotta, egg, and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups of the meat sauce in a 13 by 9-inch baking dish to start assembling the lasagne. Place half of the chicken slices on top of the meat sauce. Half of the ricotta mixture should be spread over the chicken. Place one-third of the mozzarella on top. 1/2 cup of the meat sauce should be poured over the mozzarella, and 1/4 cup of the Parmesan should be sprinkled on top. Repeat with the remaining meat sauce, chicken, ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, covered. Uncover and bake for another 25 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Allow for a 15-minute cooling period before serving. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 4 days or freeze in an ice cube tray for up to 1 month. Place in a preheated 190°C/375°F oven for about 8 minutes to reheat.
- Recipe Notes
If you use part-skim mozzarella, the dish will be too moist after baking; you may need to drain some of the moisture.
8 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories269
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 5.4g 27%
- Sodium 238mg 10%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 21.8g
- Protein 5.9g 12%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.