Try these amazingly delicious muffins. Not only do they fill you, but they also make your taste buds tingle with excitement.
- FOR THE MUFFINS
½ cup coconut flour, or 2 cups blanched almond flour
½ cup Swerve confectioners’-style sweetener or equivalent amount of liquid or powdered sweetener
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ tsp fine sea salt
¼ tsp baking soda
6 large eggs (2 eggs if using almond flour), beaten
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (or coconut oil if dairy- free), melted but not hot
½ cup brewed decaf espresso or other strong brewed decaf coffee
2 tsp rum extract
- FOR THE FROSTING
1 (227g/8oz package mascarpone cheese , softened
¼ cup Swerve confectioners’-style sweetener or equivalent amount of liquid or powdered sweetener
30g (1 oz) brewed decaf espresso or other strong brewed decaf coffee 1 tsp rum extract
Unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease a standardsize 12-well muffin pan or line the walls with paper liners.
- Sift together the dry ingredients for the muffin batter in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring constantly, until completely smooth. Fill about two-thirds of the way up each well of the muffin pan with batter. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan before removing from the oven.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting: whisk together all of the ingredients until smooth. Set aside until the muffins are cool before frosting. Cocoa powder should be sprinkled on top of the frosted muffins.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 1 week. If the muffins are unfrosted, they can be frozen; however, the frosting should not be frozen.
12 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories156
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 3.7g 19%
- Sodium 166mg 7%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 6.6g
- Protein 4.4g 9%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.