There’s only one way to improve a Chicken Lasagne – BBQ! The taste is amazing, and we guarantee there will be no leftovers, unless you’ve made it just for yourself. Even then, it’s not leftovers – it’s just another day’s food.
- FOR THE SAUCE
4 cups tomato sauce
2 tsp liquid smoke
¼ cup Swerve confectioners’-style sweetener
16 thin slices deli roasted chicken breast filling
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3 cups shredded cooked chicken thighs
- OPTIONAL FILLINGS
454g/1 pound button mushrooms, sliced and sautéed in butter
1 green bell pepper, chopped and sautéed in butter
½ cup diced onions, sautéed in butter
- SLOW COOKER SHREDDED CHICKEN THIGHS
900g/2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
2 cups chicken bone broth
¼ cup diced onions
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp fine sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
- In a 6-quart (or larger) slow cooker, combine all of the shredded chicken thighs recipe ingredients. Cook on low for 6 hours, or until the chicken is fork-tender. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and discard the skin (reserve the skin for making chicken cracklings, here). Remove the meat from the bones, discarding the bones, and shredding the meat with two forks. Refrigerate the chicken in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 1 month. (Note: If you aren’t going to use the chicken right away, keep it in the slow cooker with some of the juices.) It’ll help keep the meat moist until you’re ready to use it.) This recipe yields 3 cups shredded chicken.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F. Grease a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Make the sauce: In a large mixing bowl, combine the tomato sauce and the basil. Combine the liquid smoke and sweetener in a mixing bowl. Place aside.
- Assemble the lasagne:
1 cup of the sauce should be poured into the greased baking dish. Layer half of the deli chicken “noodles,” half of the cheese, half of the shredded chicken, and half of any other fillings you want. (I enjoy mushrooms sautéed in butter and seasoned with salt and pepper.) Layer the remaining sauce, then the noodles, and finally the chicken (with any additional toppings). Garnish with the remaining cheese.
- bake the lasagne for 45 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is golden brown. Allow for a 10-minute rest before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in a baking dish for 5 minutes in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven, or until warmed through.
10 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories726
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 4.2g 22%
- Sodium 631mg 27%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 12.9g
- Protein 28.6g 58%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.