Nothing will beat this Turkey recipe. The creamy gravy alone is to die for.
1 h4 40 minutes
2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
4 turkey legs
Fine sea salt and ground black pepper
¼ cup diced onions
¼ cup diced celery
2 sprigs thyme, plus extra for garnish
1½ cups turkey or chicken bone broth
½ batch Mashed Fauxtatoes
30g (1 oz) mascarpone or cream cheese (2 tbsp), softened
Chopped fresh herbs, such as thyme, for garnish
Melted ghee or extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F.
- In a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, melt the ghee. Season the turkey legs with salt and pepper on all sides. Sear the legs on all sides in the skillet until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Place in a roasting pan after removing from the skillet.
- In a skillet, cook the onions, celery, and thyme sprigs for 8 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Place the vegetables in the roasting pan, tucking them under the turkey legs to prevent them from burning. Fill the pan halfway with broth. Place the pan in the oven for 1 hour 40 minutes, or until the turkey is cooked through and no longer pink inside when pierced with a knife.
- Divide the fauxtatoes among four plates to serve. On each plate, place a turkey leg on top of the mashed potatoes.
- Blend the sauce and vegetables from the roasting pan. Puree the mascarpone until smooth. Spread the creamy gravy over each turkey leg. Garnish with herbs and melted ghee if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3days. Reheat for 5 minutes on a rimmed baking sheet in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven, or until warmed through.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories87
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 3.1g 16%
- Sodium 365mg 16%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 0.8g
- Protein 5.4g 11%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.