Try this amazing take on the famous Philly Cheesesteak. Not only does it look good, but it tastes amazing too!
6.5 – 8.5 hours
900g/2 pounds boneless sirloin steak, cubed
Fine sea salt and ground black pepper
¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
1 cup chopped onions
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups beef bone broth, divided
1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1 (227g/8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup shredded provolone cheese, for garnish
- Season the steak liberally with salt and pepper on all sides.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Cook until the onions and garlic are soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Place the mixture in a slow cooker.
- Sear the cubed steak on all sides in the skillet until it is dark golden brown, adding more butter as needed to keep the meat from sticking to the pan. Then add the meat, onions, and garlic to the slow cooker.
- In the slow cooker, combine 5 cups of beef broth, the bell pepper, and the cayenne pepper. Cook for 6 to 8 hours on low, or until the meat is cooked through and fork tender. Using two forks, shred the meat.
- A few minutes before serving, puree the softened cream cheese and remaining 1 cup broth in a blender until smooth, then add to the slow cooker. Stir everything together and turn the heat up to high. Continue to cook, covered, until thoroughly warmed.
- Serve the soup in bowls, topped with shredded provolone cheese.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat for a few minutes over medium heat, or until warmed through.
8 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories409
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 2.5g 13%
- Sodium 1482mg 62%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 9g
- Protein 27.6g 56%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.