With all of the spices and seasoning, this chicken dish will make you want to have more. And why not!
3 tbsp ghee or coconut oil, divided
1 onion, roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
2½ tbsp chili powder, divided
3 tsp ground cumin, divided
2½ tsp fine sea salt, divided
1½ cups chicken bone broth
2 (2227g/8 oz) cans diced tomatoes
907g (2lbs) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried ground oregano
10 slices deli chicken breast
3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons ghee. Cook for 4 minutes after adding the onion. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the garlic, 1 tbsp chilli powder, 2 tsp cumin, and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Cook for another 2 minutes. Simmer for 8 minutes after adding the chicken broth and tomatoes. Blend the mixture in a blender until smooth, then set the sauce aside.
- Season the remaining 1 1/2 tbsp chilli powder, remaining tsp cumin, remaining tsp salt, paprika, and oregano on all sides of the chicken thighs. Return the skillet to mediumhigh heat and add the remaining tbsp ghee. Cook for a few minutes on each side, or until the chicken is browned on both sides. Cover and reduce the heat to medium after adding the reserved sauce. Cook for 12 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and no longer pink in the centre. Take the chicken out of the sauce and shred it with two forks. Set aside the shredded chicken and sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Place 5 deli chicken slices in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet or casserole dish Half of the shredded chicken, half of the sauce, and half of the Monterey Jack cheese should be on top. Add the remaining deli chicken slices, shredded chicken, sauce, and cheese to the top. Bake for 20 minutes, or until the casserole is hot and the cheese is melted.
- Serve the casserole topped with avocado slices, cilantro, and crumbled Cotija cheese. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in a baking dish for 5 minutes in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven, or until warmed through.
8 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories524
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 3.5g 18%
- Sodium 326mg 14%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 15.6g
- Protein 17.6g 36%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.