You know what Lasagna is. You know what Chicken Cordon Bleu is. Now, let your imagination run wild to see what it might taste like. Yes – the best of both!
1hr 40 minutes
- FOR THE CHICKEN
3 tbsp bacon fat, lard, or ghee
4 chicken leg quarters
1½ tsp fine sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
¼ cup diced onions
1 tsp minced garlic
1 cup chicken bone broth
- FOR THE SAUCE
¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
45g (1½ oz) cream cheese (3 tbsp)
¼ cup beef or chicken bone broth
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
Fine sea salt and ground black pepper
- FOR THE CASSEROLE
1 large zucchini (about 10 inches long), trimmed and sliced lengthwise into ¼-inch planks
1 (114g/4 oz) package sliced Swiss cheese
1 (114g/4 oz) package thin-sliced ham
- Cook the chicken in a deep sauté pan over medium-high heat with the bacon fat. Season the chicken leg quarters with salt and pepper to taste. Cook the chicken in the hot fat for 8 minutes, or until golden brown on all sides.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook the onions and garlic for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown. Cook, covered, for about 1 hour, or until
the chicken is almost falling off the bone.
- Remove the chicken legs from the pan and set them aside to cool until they are cool enough to handle. After removing the skin, shred the meat and set it aside.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, or until the cream cheese and broth are thickened. Turn down the heat. Stir in the Swiss cheese until it is completely melted. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Layer the zucchini “noodles” in an 8-inch square casserole dish (there should be two stacked layers of noodles), then drizzle with 12 cup of the sauce. Layer a layer of Swiss cheese slices on top of the sauced zucchini, followed by a layer of ham slices. Ontop of the ham, layer the shredded chicken. Pour the remaining sauce into the casserole dish. Then add another layer of ham and the remaining cheese slices.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the zucchini is soft and the cheese has melted. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in a baking dish for 5 minutes in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven, or until warmed through.
10 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories285
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 12.3g 62%
- Sodium 1496mg 63%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 1.3g
- Protein 17.8g 36%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.