When we first thought of making this dish, we were slightly put off by the the thoughts of how it might taste. We are glad we still went ahead with it, because we discovered a wonderfully delicious zucchini based dish. We always use our Nonna’s recipe for the Marinara because we know how well that tastes. Try it for yourself, and see why we enjoy making and eating this meal.
1 medium zucchini, about 8 inches long by 1½ inches in diameter
2 tsp fine sea salt
57g (2oz) cream cheese or mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 cup marinara, warmed
Shredded mozzarella cheese, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Remove the zucchini’s ends. Slice the zucchini lengthwise into very thin planks, about 1/16 inch thick, on a mandolin. You will require 16 slices.
- Place the zucchini slices in a colander in the sink. Allow the excess water to drain from the zucchini for 5 minutes after evenly sprinkling with salt. Gently squeeze the zucchini slices to remove any remaining excess moisture.
- To make each agnolotti, arrange two slices of zucchini in a cross shape on a work surface, overlapping in the centre.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese, Parmesan, and Italian seasoning.
- 1 tbsp of the cream cheese mixture should be placed in the centre of the cross of zucchini slices. Fold the edges in to form a snug agnolotti-shaped “pocket.” Repeat with the rest of the zucchini slices. In a 13 by 9-inch baking dish, arrange the agnolotti with the zucchini ends down. Bake for
10 minutes, or until the zucchini softens and the cheese melts.
- On each plate, spoon 1/4 cup marinara. 2 agnolotti on top Sprinkle with mozzarella and broil for a minute or two to melt the cheese (make sure your plates are oven-safe!). Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to four days. Place on a rimmed baking sheet in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven
for about 3 minutes to reheat.
- Recipe Notes
To make this recipe even easier, omit the oven and instead use the microwave. Heat the assembled agnolotti for 1 minute, or until the cheese is melted and the agnolotti are
heated to your preference.