Why not try this amazingly tasty dish which combines the decadence of a chili cheese dog and the filling warmth of a casserole? We think you’ll try it more than once!
16oz (454g) ground beef
1 large bell pepper (any colour), diced
½ cup diced onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup diced tomatoes (fresh preferred)
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup beef bone broth
1 tsp fine sea salt
2 tsp chili powder
½ tsp ground cumin
¼ tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp Swerve confectioners’-style sweetener
8 uncured hot dogs
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the ground beef, bell pepper, onions, and garlic are cooked through, about 5 minutes in a large cast-iron skillet or other oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, salt, spices, and sweetener, if using, in a mixing bowl. Cook for 20 minutes, uncovered.
- Place the hot dog slices in the skillet on top of the casserole mixture. Shred the cheese over the entire mixture. Place the skillet in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in a baking dish for a few minutes, or until warmed through, in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories524
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 3.5g 18%
- Sodium 326mg 14%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 15g
- Protein 17.6g 36%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.