When a dessert is for two, it’s for you and your significant other. We cannot think of a nicer dessert for such a perfect occasion. We can assure you that you choosing the decadent black forest dessert for two will be one of your better choices in life. Your partner will thank you for it.
- SIMPLE VANILLA ICE CREAM
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup unsweetened cashew milk
3 tbsp Swerve confectioners’- style sweetener, or more as desired
Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean, or 1 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of fine sea salt
- FOR THE CAKE
¼ cup blanched almond flour
2 tbsp Swerve confectioners’- style sweetener
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
½ tsp baking powder
Pinch of fine sea salt
2 tbsp melted (but not hot) ghee or unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing the pans
1 large egg
½ tsp cherry extract
- CHERRY GLAZE
3 tbsp unsalted butter
1½ tbsp Swerve confectioners’- style sweetener
1 to 2 tsp cherry extract
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT
Ice cream maker
- To make the ice cream, combine all of the ingredients in a blender and puree for 1 minute, or until frothy. Fill an ice cream maker halfway with the mixture and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Place the ice cream in an airtight container in the freezer while you prepare the cake and glaze. (Note: The ice cream can be made ahead of time and frozen for up to one month.)
- Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 165°C/325°F before beginning to make the cakes. Grease two standard-size muffin pan wells or two 120g/4-oz ramekins.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, powdered sweetener (if using), cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the melted ghee, egg, cherry extract, and liquid sweetener (if using) until well combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 10 to 13 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan.
- Make the cherry glaze while the cake is baking: In a saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Heat the butter, stirring frequently, until it foams, and brown (but not black!) flecks appear. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool for a few minutes. (If you’re using coconut oil, simply heat it until it’s melted.) To the browned butter, add the sweetener and 1 teaspoon of cherry extract (or coconut oil). If desired, add more sweetener or extract.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer to begin assembling the dessert. (If you made the ice cream
ahead of time and it’s frozen solid, set it aside for 15 to 25 minutes to soften.) Cut a cake into four wedges and place them in a serving bowl. Scoop half of the ice cream into the bowl, then drizzle with half of the cherry glaze. Repeat with the remaining cake, ice cream, and glaze.
2 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories404
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 25.9g 130%
- Sodium 381mg 16%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 45.4g
- Protein 2.2g 5%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.