A delightful twist on a meatloaf, bringing a fusion of Greek to an American staple. Try it once, we know you’ll be back for more.
2 hours (including sauce preparation)
1 hour 15 minutes
- TSATZIKI SAUCE
1 cup sour cream
1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped or shredded and squeezed dry
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp fine sea salt
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh dill, or ¼ tsp dried dill weed
- GYRO LOAF
680g/1½ pounds ground lamb or beef
¾ cup finely chopped mushrooms
½ cup diced red onions
¼ cup diced black olives
227g (8oz) feta cheese, cut into ¼-inch dice, plus extra for garnish
½ cup powdered Parmesan cheese
¼ cup tomato sauce
1 large egg
1 tsp Greek seasoning
1 tsp dried oregano leaves
1 clove garlic, smashed to a paste
Diced red onions, for garnish
Diced tomatoes, for garnish
- To make the tzatziki sauce, combine all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Stir everything together thoroughly. Place the sauce in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours to chill. (Please keep in mind that it can be made up to 3 days ahead of time.)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Have an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan on hand.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the gyro loaf and mix well with your hands.
- Fill the loaf pan halfway with the meat mixture. Bake for 55 minutes, or until the loaf’s internal temperature reaches 73°C/160°F. Allow for a 10-minute rest before slicing. Garnish with red onions, tomatoes, and extra feta cheese and serve with the tzatziki sauce.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat the gyro loaf in a baking dish for 5 minutes, or until warmed through, in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven.
6 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories292
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.9g 5%
- Sodium 1079mg 45%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 5.2g
- Protein 12.3g 25%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.