An interesting take on an old favorite – well one of my favourites! These cupcakes are so tasty that you may want to have more than two, or three, or four.
6 or 12 servings
2 tbsp coconut oil or unsalted butter
1½ cups diced green bell peppers
¾ cup chopped onions
1 clove garlic, smashed to a paste
680g/1½ pounds ground beef or lamb
1 large egg, beaten
½ cup powdered Parmesan cheese
½ tsp fine sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp dried basil
½ tsp chili powder
½ tsp dried ground marjoram
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp dried thyme leaves
1½ cups cubed provolone or fontina cheese
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Line a jumbo 6-well muffin pan with paper liners or a standard 12-well muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Sauté the bell peppers and onions for 3 minutes, or until soft. Cook for another minute after adding the garlic. Remove the vegetable mixture from the heat and place it in a large mixing bowl. Combine the ground beef, beaten egg, and Parmesan cheese in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and spices to taste. Mix in the cheese cubes until well
- Make six 2 1/2-inch balls or twelve 1 1/2-inch balls out of the mixture. Fill each muffin cup with a ball. Bake for 12 minutes for jumbo cupcakes or 9 minutes for regularsized cupcakes, or until the internal temperature reaches 73°C/160°F. Remove from the oven and serve while still warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in a baking dish for 5 minutes in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven, or until warmed through.
6 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories198
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 6g 30%
- Sodium 207mg 9%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 16.5g
- Protein 4g 8%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.