Such a wonderful tasty dish, this Skillet Moussaka will almost have you speaking Greek after eating it. We prefer ours with Lamb, but you can use Beef instead.
1 hour 10 minutes
- EGGPLANT LAYER
1 small eggplant (about 340g/12 oz)
1 tsp fine sea salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
- MEAT LAYER
1 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
½ cup chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, smashed to a paste or minced
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 cup fresh oregano leaves, chopped
1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
680g (1½ lbs) ground lamb or beef
2 cups finely diced mushrooms
1 tsp fine sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup tomato sauce
- CHEESE SAUCE
¼ cup ghee or unsalted butter
½ cup beef bone broth
2 large eggs, separated
227g (8oz) feta cheese, crumbled
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Fresh oregano leaves, for garnish
Melted ghee, avocado oil, or extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- To make the eggplant layer, remove the stem from the eggplant and peel the skin off with a vegetable peeler. Cut the eggplant into 18-inch-thick planks lengthwise. Season the slices on both sides with salt and pepper. Bake the eggplant for 15 minutes, or until soft, on a greased rimmed baking sheet. Remove the eggplant from the oven, but leave the oven on if you are baking the lasagne immediately.
- In the meantime, prepare the meat layer: In an 8-inch cast-iron skillet, melt 1 tablespoon ghee over medium heat. Combine the onions, garlic, lemon slices, oregano, and parsley in a mixing bowl. Cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes, or until the onions are soft. Combine the ground lamb and mushrooms in a mixing bowl. To crumble the meat, stir it in. Stir in the tomato sauce after adding the salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cinnamon stick. Simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered, before removing from the heat.
- Remove half of the meat mixture from the skillet and layer the remaining meat mixture in the skillet with eggplant slices. Top the eggplant layer with the remaining meat mixture, followed by another layer of eggplant. Set aside the skillet.
- To make the cheese sauce, combine 1/4 cup ghee and broth in a saucepan over low heat. When the ghee is completely melted, whisk in the egg yolks, feta cheese, and nutmeg until just combined. Fold the egg whites into the sauce after they have stiffened. In the skillet, pour the cheese sauce over the eggplant.
- Bake the moussaka in the skillet for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the top is golden. Allow for a 10-minute cooling period before serving. Garnish with oregano leaves and melted ghee if desired.
- Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat for 5 minutes, or until warmed through, on a rimmed baking sheet in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven.
8 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories766
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 14.4g 72%
- Sodium 988mg 42%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 5.6g
- Protein 96.3g 193%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.