While this dessert is associated with the festive season of Christmas, we think you can have it at any time of the year. Try it and see if you can get into a festive spirit no matter when you have it.
5 hours 30 minutes
- FOR VANILLA MALTED MILK LAYER
¾ cup unsweetened cashew milk
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp unflavoured gelatine
4 (227g / 8oz) packages cream cheese, softened
2 cups heavy cream
1½ cups Swerve confectioners’- style sweetener
¼ cup plus 2 tbsp maca powder, or more to taste
Seeds scraped from 2 vanilla beans (about 8 inches long), or 2 tsp vanilla extract
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE MALTED MILK LAYER
½ batch Vanilla Malted Milk Layer (reserved from above)
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, or more to taste
- FOR THE GANACHE
¾ cup heavy cream
⅓ cup Swerve confectioners’-style sweetener
90g (3 oz) unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
Seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean (about 8 inches long), or 1 tsp vanilla extract
⅛ tsp fine sea salt
- Have a silicone bûche mould or a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan on hand. Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving some overhanging paper.
- To make the vanilla malted milk layer, whisk together the cashew milk and gelatine in a saucepan over mediumhigh heat until the gelatine melts. Remove from the heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Mix in the cream cheese, heavy cream, sweetener, and maca powder with a hand mixer until well combined. Add the vanilla extract and continue to beat until smooth. If desired, add more maca powder (for the malted milk flavour) and/or sweetener.
- Half of the batter should be poured into the bûche mould or lined loaf pan. Place the mould in the freezer for about 2 hours to allow the first layer to set.
- To make the chocolate malted milk layer, combine the cocoa powder with the remaining half of the batter using a hand mixer. Taste and adjust with more cocoa powder if necessary. Once the first layer has set in the freezer, gently spoon the chocolate layer on top of the vanilla layer. Return to the freezer for 3 hours to completely set.
Make the ganache just before serving. In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the cream and sweetener to a simmer. Remove from the heat and stir in the chocolatechunks, vanilla extract, and salt. Allow for 3 minutes before stirring again until completely smooth.
- Unmold the bûche onto a serving platter to serve. Gently peel away the sides of the mold, pressing gently with your hand on the top of the mold until the bûche releases. Allow the bûche to thaw slightly before lifting it out of the pan and inverting it onto a serving platter if you used a loaf pan. Drizzle the ganache over the top and, if desired, sprinkle with crushed almonds.
- Extras can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to a month. Allow to thaw completely before slicing and serving.
12 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories237
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 8.1g 41%
- Sodium 80mg 4%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 5.6g
- Protein 4.4g 9%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.