One of the most infamous Italian meals gets a little makeover from us, and we absolutely love the result. Pasta? Well, sort of. It will definitely keep the carbs low and the calories too! Filling, but not overbearing, this will be a favourite for those wishing to shed a few pounds, but would still like to enjoy their food too. Have a go at making this wonderful dish today. We know you will love it as much as we do.
4 strips bacon, diced
4 cups thinly shredded green cabbage (about 454g/ 1 pound)
¼ cup chopped onions (about 1 small)
1 clove garlic, minced
4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 30g/1 oz), plus extra for garnish
Fine sea salt and ground black pepper
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
- In a medium-sized cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, brown the bacon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp. Remove the bacon from the skillet, leaving the fat in the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the cabbage, onions, and garlic until the cabbage is very soft, about 8 minutes. Replace the bacon in the skillet.
- Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly with tongs or a large fork, until the eggs are barely set. Mix in the Parmesan cheese until thoroughly combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with more Parmesan and parsley, if desired.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to four days. Place in a lightly greased skillet over medium heat for about 3 minutes to reheat.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories83
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0g 0%
- Sodium 798mg 34%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 0.8g
- Protein 11.8g 24%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.