A tasty chicken recipe which will have all the family delighted and licking their lips.
4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
1 tsp fine sea salt, divided
¼ cup ghee (or coconut oil if dairy-free)
4 sprigs fresh thyme, plus extra for garnish
4 strips thick-cut bacon, diced
¼ cup sliced onions
1 cup sliced mushrooms
Ground black pepper
2 cups chicken bone broth
2 tbsp melted ghee or unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt should be sprinkled over the chicken thighs. Heat the ghee (enough to coat the bottom of a large cast-iron skillet) over medium-high heat. Thyme, if using, should be added at the end. Sear the seasoned chicken thighs skin side down in the pan until golden brown, using a spoon to baste the flesh side with the pan’s melted ghee as they cook. Cook for another 2 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown on the other side. Place the chicken on a rimmed baking sheet,
leaving the drippings in the skillet.
- Bake for 7 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink on the inside. Meanwhile, prepare the bacon: Combine the diced bacon and the chicken drippings in a skillet. Cook for 4 minutes over medium heat, or until the bacon is crisp and cooked through.
Scoop out the bacon pieces with a slotted spoon and set them aside.
- Cook the onions in the hot skillet until they are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are golden brown on all sides. Season with the remaining 1/2 tsp salt and a few pinches of pepper.
- Scrape up all of the browned bits that have accumulated on the bottom of the pan with the broth. Cook until the gravy has reduced slightly. If desired, season with more salt and pepper. Serve the chicken with the pan-made mushroom gravy. Garnish with the reserved bacon and thyme. If desired, drizzle with 2 tbsp melted ghee.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat for a few minutes on a rimmed baking sheet in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven, until warmed through.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories49
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 0.9g 5%
- Sodium 34mg 2%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 4.3g
- Protein 1.1g 3%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.