Take the best ingredients and add a little love, and you have the best meal. We think Prosciutto and Chicken make a perfect combination and you will create a wonderful meal for the family – or friends to enjoy. While the recipe might take a little effort, we know you will agree after tasting the result, it will have been worth it. As always, use Nonna’s Marinara. You won’t regret it.
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
4 (25g / 1oz) slices mozzarella or fontina cheese
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 cup powdered Parmesan cheese
- FOR THE CREAMY PESTO
2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
¼ cup walnuts or pine nuts
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp fine sea salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ cup avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup heavy cream
1 cup Nonna’s Marinara, warmed, for serving
Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F. Sandwich the chicken thighs between two sheets of parchment paper. Gently pound the thighs with a cast-iron skillet, rolling pin, or mallet until they are about 14 inch thick.
- Remove the top piece of parchment and top the chicken with a slice of prosciutto. Place a slice of mozzarella on top of the prosciutto. Roll the chicken tightly and secure the ends with toothpicks. Spread a thin layer of mustard on top of the chicken and top with the Parmesan. Rep with the remainder of the chicken, prosciutto, mozzarella, mustard, and Parmesan.
- Place the stuffed chicken on a baking sheet with a rim. Bake for 27 to 30 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- In the meantime, make the pesto: In a food processor or blender, puree the basil, walnuts, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper until smooth. With the food processor or blender running on low speed, slowly drizzle in the oil, scraping down the sides as needed. Once the oil is well combined, gradually add the cream. If desired, season with more salt or lemon juice. Distribute the pesto among four plates.
- On each plate, place a stuffed chicken thigh on top of the pesto. Spread 14 cup marinara on each chicken thigh and top with basil and Parmesan cheese. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to four days. Place on a rimmed baking sheet in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven for about 3 minutes to reheat.
- Recipe Notes
To save time and effort, ask your butcher to pound the chicken for you.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories137
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 4.9g 25%
- Sodium 249mg 11%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 1g
- Protein 5.3g 11%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.