Sometimes you just want to treat yourself to a wonderful tasting comfort food. We all do. With this wonderful recipe, we think you can do it without the guilt. Sausage and pepper might sound pretty simple, and in one sense it is, but this makes a fantastic meal which can be enjoyed by family and friends. That’s if you don’t keep it to yourself! As always, use Nonna’s Marinara to make this recipe as good as we know it can be.
2 tbsp coconut oil or avocado oil
2 bell peppers, any colour, chopped
½ cup diced onions (about 1 medium)
½ tsp fine sea salt
454g/ 1 pound Italian sausages, sliced into ½ inch pieces
2 cups marinara – Nonna’s is best
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (about 60g/2 oz)
1 batch Cabbage Pasta or Zoodles , for serving
- In a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Cook for 4 minutes, or until the onions are translucent and the peppers are soft, before adding the bell peppers and onions. Season with salt to taste.
- Cook the sausage in the skillet for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until it is cooked through. Cook until the marinara is hot. Add the crushed red pepper and continue to cook until the marinara is hot. If desired, top with the mozzarella.
- Serve the sausage and cabbage pasta with the sausage mixture. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to four days. Place in a lightly greased skillet over medium heat for about 3 minutes to reheat.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories563
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 4.6g 23%
- Sodium 958mg 40%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 4.9g
- Protein 25.8g 52%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.