No, not a typo. Smothered Fried Cabin Chicken is a dish you will want to try for any occasion. Try it once, we promised you’ll be addicted.
4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
Fine sea salt and ground black pepper
2 large eggs
½ cup pork dust or powdered pork rinds
½ cup powdered Parmesan cheese
2 strips bacon, diced
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
¼ cup diced tomatoes
2 cups leafy salad greens mix
1 lemon, quartered
¼ cup ranch dressing
Sliced green onions, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F.
- Place the chicken thighs between two pieces of parchment paper and gently pound with a rolling pin or meat tenderizer until the chicken is about 1.4 inch thick. Season both sides liberally with salt and pepper.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs. Add 1 tbsp water and season with salt and pepper to taste. Combine the pork dust and Parmesan cheese in a separate shallow bowl.
- Dredge each chicken thigh in the beaten eggs, allowing the excess to drip off, then press the chicken into the pork dust mixture on both sides.
- Cook the diced bacon in a large cast-iron skillet over mediumhigh heat for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Set aside after removing from the skillet. The bacon drippings
should be left in the skillet.
- Add a tbsp or two of avocado oil or coconut oil to the bacon drippings in the skillet for frying if necessary. When the pan is hot, sear the breaded chicken thighs on one side until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip and sear for another 2 minutes, or until golden brown on the other side. Turn off the heat in the skillet. Shredded cheese, fried bacon, and diced tomatoes go on top of the fried chicken. Bake for 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- In the meantime, prepare the salad by washing and roughly chopping the salad greens. Serve the smothered chicken and salad on four plates. Squeeze a quarter of a lemon over each portion of chicken and salad. Then drizzle with ranch dressing and garnish with green onions, if desired.
- Refrigerate leftover chicken and salad in separate airtight containers for up to 3 days. Reheat the chicken for 5 minutes on a rimmed baking sheet in a preheated 180°C/350°F oven, or until warmed through.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories87
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 3.1g 16%
- Sodium 365mg 16%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 0.8g
- Protein 5.4g 11%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.