Another favourite of mine, this Szechuan beef will make your tastebuds thank you. Our marinade with it’s chili garlic sauce and beef broth will set up the beef for a finale to be served to you, friends and family. Enjoy it any time of the day, any time of the year. While it may be like a comfort food, it certainly is guilt free! Try it today.
20 minutes & Overnight marinade
227g (8oz) boneless sirloin steak, sliced against the grain into ¼-inch thick strips
- FOR THE MARINADE
2 tbsp beef bone broth
1 ½ tsp wheat-free tamari, or 2 tbsp coconut aminos
2 cloves garlic, minced — sauce
2 tbsp beef bone broth
2 tsp Swerve confectioners’-style sweetener
1 ½ tsp chili garlic sauce
1 tsp wheat-free tamari, or 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp coconut aminos
½ tsp chili oil
⅛ tsp guar gum (optional, for thickening)
- FOR STIR FRY
2 tbsp coconut oil, for frying
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ medium onion, thinly sliced
½ red bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 scallions, sliced on the diagonal, for garnish
1 tsp crushed red pepper, for garnish
- Cut the beef into 1/4-inch thick strips against the grain.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the marinade ingredients and stir well. Toss the beef in the marinade to coat it. Cover and place in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes or overnight to marinate.
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce: In a large mixing bowl, combine the broth, sweetener, chilli garlic sauce, tamari, and chilli oil. If using, sift in the guar gum and whisk until well combined. Place aside.
- In a large cast-iron skillet or wok, heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil over medium-high heat. Remove the beef from the marinade and discard it. Stir-fry the beef for 3 minutes, or until the edges are browned. Set aside after removing from the skillet.
- In the skillet, heat the remaining 1 tbsp coconut oil over medium-high heat. Stir in the garlic for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Stir-fry the onion and bell pepper for 3 minutes, or until softened. Return the beef to the skillet and drizzle with the sauce. Allow to simmer until the sauce thickens, stirring frequently. Garnish with scallions and crushed red pepper on a platter.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to four days. To reheat, heat for about 5 minutes in a lightly greased skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Recipe Notes
Make the sauce ahead of time to save time. It will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days if stored in an airtight container.
2 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories145
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 4.2g 22%
- Sodium 456mg 19%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 0.6g
- Protein 12.2g 25%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.